Sunday, January 15, 2012

Puttin the paint where it ain't

So when I returned from training for my new job, my mother was already drinking.  It wasn't 3:00 and I thought and thought of why she steered away from the "norm".  I could only figure out that she thought I was going to be gone longer.  She also did this the other day when I went to visit a friend in the hospital.  I came back quick because my friend was heavily medicated and needed rest. 
ok..so I think I will tell you a quick story of what happened to me at Whole Foods the other day.  I went to the seafood counter to purchase Ahi tuna and some shrimp.  I just recently learned how to make sushi and am now obsessed with perfecting it.  So, as I approached the counter the young fellow (like 22/23) said "heh, what's up?" instead of "hello, how can I help you today?".  I was instantly shocked.  I guess I shouldn't be at my age, but occasionally I am.  It only escalated from there.  I replied with "fine, how are you?"  He said "killer, just puttin the paint where it ain't". Again-shock. What the hell does that even mean???  He asked what I needed and I told him the ahi and the shrimp.  He answered "awesome".  Then asked if I was ready for my weekend of "partying".  Who the heck says this to a customer?  Him I guess.  I said "oh, I don't party, just making sushi".  He then asked if I knew how.  I said I just learned and his reply was "oh then you are 'rookie MVP' ".  I just smiled...too shocked to even answer at this point.  The whole time, I was thinking I was in Whole Foods, not the average joe smo store.  Hmmmmm..... left me baffled. 
Now, by now means am I a prude.  But I do believe in proper customer service and proper etiquette.  The sad thing is this guy thought he was cool and probably flirting.  Sad.  Just sad.

Until later,
L

No comments:

Post a Comment